Saturday 1 October 2016

Bookoverview ~ September 2016


This month was one of the most unsuccessful reading months I've had this year. - But my birthday also was this month, so I got a lot of books to fill my TBR-shelf again, and autumn is coming, my absolute favourite season.

Books I bought/got this month: 12
Books I read this month: 3


Books I bought/got this month:

All the following books I got for my birthday. - This is my second month without spending money on books ... this hasn't happened in years!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (5 books) ~ Douglas Adams

Genre:Science-Fiction
Publisher:Picador USA
Language:English
Blurb:One Thursday lunchtime the Earth gets unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Sadly, however, the weekend has only just begun, and the Galaxy is a very strange and startling place.
Last year I've already read book one of the trilogy in German and I loved it. At my Uni you have to have read the series when you are a math or physics student.

Die Medici Chroniken (3 books) ~ Rainer M. Schröder

Genre:Historical Fiction
Publisher:Arena
Language:German
Blurb:Florenz, 1427. Das Landgut Cafaggiolo vor den Toren Florenz liegt in brütender Hitze. Noch weiß Cosimo de Medici nicht, dass die mächtigsten Familien in Florenz eine Intrige gegen ihn schmieden. Ausgerechnet der junge, bettelarme Sandro wird auserkoren, den heimtückischen Anschlag auf Cosimo auszuführen. Doch Sandro trifft seine ganz eigene Entscheidung - und die Verschwörer finden sich bald in ihrer eigenen Intrige gefangen. Für Sandro dagegen beginnt an der Seite der schönen Tessa ein unglaublich aufregendes Leben im Dienst der Medici.
I remenber listening to the audio book and loving the trilogy when I was younger, but I never sat down to read the books. Also these books only are translated to Czech, so I only inserted the German blurb. - For the English readers: This book is about the House of Medici who was an Italian banking family.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson #1) ~ Rick Riordan

Genre:Fantasy
Publisher:Disney-Hyperion
Language:English
Blurb:Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) ~ Charlaine Harris

Genre:Fantasy/Vampire
Publisher:Ace Books
Language:English
Blurb:Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome--and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life....

Deep Secret (Magids #1) ~ Diana Wynne Jones

Genre:Fantasy
Publisher:Harper Collins
Language:English
Blurb:Magids look after all worlds, steer them towards magic, and keep history happening. But Rupert Venables’ mentor has just died, and as the junior magid on earth he has to find a replacement while also trying to find the lost heir of a collapsing empire, worlds away. Rupert interweaves the fate lines to get all the candidates together at a sci-fi fantasy convention, and havoc ensues as they all converge on a very strange hotel, where everything is always linked, the walls keep moving, people are trying to kill him, and nothing is as it seems…a magical, epic story from the Godmother of fantasy.

18!: Was du darfst, was du musst, was du kannst ~ Katja Schönherr

Genre:Non-fiction
Publisher:Eichborn
Language:German
Blurb:Basically this book is about everything you are allowed to do in Germany when you are 18, but also about what you now have to do.





Books I read this month: 

As I've already said, this month wasn't a successful reading month. I was really down after starting Outlander and The Lord of the Rings, because I wasn't really making progress reading these books and I'm still at the halfpoint of The Lord of the Rings.

Outlander #1 ~ Diana Gabaldon

Rating:2/5 stars
Reading Language:English

I'm litarally so disappointed by this book. Yes, Diana Gabaldons writing style is awesome, but the plot and the characters ... I stopped reading after I reached the half point, because the story just bored me and after page 200 it felt like I was reading 50 Shades of Grey only in the 18th century.



The Code Book ~ Simon Singh

Rating:4/5 stars
Reading Language:German

In my opinion some passages of the book could have been a little short and some could have been a little bit more detailed. I have quite some knowledge about kryptology so this book for me was really interesting to read. - Also I'm kind of a fan of Simon Singh's writing.



Deep Secret (Magids #1) ~ Diana Wynne Jones

Rating:4.5/5 stars
Reading Language:English

I just love Diana Wynne Jones writing style and I have to get more books by her!
review >>

No comments:

Post a Comment